This Episode proudly sponsored by:
This episode is proudly sponsored by Dolphin Creative – a company who is proud to support street theatre and all of the incredible characters who make up this world. Where ever you perform: Dolphin Creative salutes you! For more information please visit DolphinCreative.org – Huge thanks to Stuart and his team for sponsoring this episode and two more to come!
- Interview by: Magic Brian and Robert Nelson, The Butterfly Man
- Interviewee: Rob Torres
- Original Recording Dates:
- Rob with Robert – January 12 & 29, 2012
- Rob with Magic Brian – December 16, 2013
- Date: Aired: April 15, 2019
- Robert’s Interviews – Robert: Pahoa, Hawaii, USA • Rob: Hillsdale, New Jersey, USA and the Estudio Busqueda de Pantomima in Guanajuato, Mexico.
- Magic Brian’s Interview – Rob Torre’s Trailer during the Big Apple Circus’s Shows in New York City
- Preamble music: “When You And I Were Young Maggie Blues” as played by Hokum W Jeebs on his Piano ala Cart CD.
- Stories from the Pitch ‘Shorts’ Theme Music: “Vino” Royalty Free Jingle available in Apple Computers’ GarageBand.
- “Organordion Waltz” as played by Hokum W Jeebs on his Piano ala Cart CD.
- “Side by Side” as played by Hokum W Jeebs on his Piano ala Cart CD.
- “The Entertainer” as played by Hokum W Jeebs on his Piano ala Cart CD.
- “The Song Is Ended” as played by Hokum W Jeebs on his Piano ala Cart CD.
- Mixed and edited by: David Aiken for The Busker Hall of Fame
Comments: On June 26, 2018 Rob Torres, The International Man of Mirth took his final bow on the stage of life. Rob Torres was the sort of creative soul who always sought out the most interesting narrative whenever he was performing, be it in Circus, on Stage or playing the Street. Inevitably that narrative would create tension then a release which came in the form of laughter. The result always seemed to be happy smiling faces in the wake of his performances.
This pursuit of laughter, of Funeestuff that everyone in his audience could relate to guided the course of his career, from Ringling Clown College to Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. Circus to the International Festival Circuit to any venue that was enhanced through his innate ability to create laugh inspired joy for an audience.
The Busker Hall of Fame was lucky enough to release two episodes of the Stories from the Pitch podcast which featured Rob. The first, a conversation with original founder of the B-HOF project, Robert Nelson, The Butterfly Man that was released on March 14, 2012, the second a chat he had with Magic Brian that was released on June 15, 2014. In honour of Rob being inducted into the Busker Hall of Fame by his colleagues and peers these two Rob-centric episodes are being re-releasing in tribute to the little clown who brought the world so much laughter.
Bonus Materials from Images from The Checkerboard Guy’s Personal Archives –
August 19, 2004 – I first met Rob Torres at the Windsor Buskers Festival and captured this shot of Rob against a brilliant sunset while we were kicking around between shows.
Who knew that so much applause, laughter and fun could be contained in a simple wooden box? Rob did!
Very sad that neither of these talented performers are with us any longer.
July 6, 2009 – I sat, watched and laughed as Rob Torres brought so much joy to the audiences of the Edmonton International Street Performer’s Festival!
Such joy in the shared experience of packing applause into a tiny little wooden box!
Such satisfaction from the joyous exchange between performer and audience!
March 17, 2011 – A little posed mischief on the way down to Moisture Festival in Seattle.
June 30, 2017 – Cheers! Imbibing a wee bit too much in Checkerhead Brewing’s ‘Tasting Room!”
After a few Checkerhead Brewing Ales, pants apparently seem highly over rated!
Video – The Great Peeing Hobo Escape as animated by Alex Clark
Find out more about sponsoring this podcast by emailing magic@BuskerHallofFame.com