- Interview by: Magic Brian
- Interviewee: Byron Bertram
- Original Recording Date: December 12, 2014
- Date: Aired: January 15, 2015
- Location: Magic Brian’s Apartment in New York
- Notes about the Image: This image is composite created by Magic Brian from images found on the internet.
- Intro: “Vino” Royalty Free Jingle available in Apple Computers’ GarageBand.
- Other Music: “Cascade” by Tim Sars as played by The Carnival Band
- Mixed and edited by: Magic Brian and David Aiken for The Busker Hall of Fame
Comments: More and more it seems like pitches around the world are becoming increasingly regulated by whatever business or government authority controls the space where performers are playing.
But how can you ‘fight the power’ and keep a pitch open? In Amsterdam in 2004, local Dutch performer Super Frank decided to hold a protest to keep Dam Square open for international acts and Byron Bertram decided to bring his straight jacket and chain escape to the variety show that was being held.
This is the story of exactly what happened and how there ended up being an unexpected silver lining to the rather unusual sequence of events that unraveled that day. Story told between mouthfuls of eggs and toast.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download