- Interview by: Linsey Lindberg
- Interviewee: Lee Nelson
- Original Recording Dates: October 24, 2012 & February 12, 2013
- Date: Aired: February 1, 2014
- Locations: Skype Conversation between Linsey (Austin, TX, USA) and Lee (Reykjavik, Iceland) and live in Lee’s home in Reykjavik
- Mixed and edited by: Magic Brian, Linsey Lindberg and David Aiken for The Busker Hall of Fame
Comments: Lee Nelson sometimes gets referred to as the Icelandic correspondent for the busking world, which in one sense is true, but his journey started long before he decided to buy a one-way ticket to Iceland to see what would happen and has encompassed a lot more than Street Performing since his arrival in Reykjavik.
Australia, South Africa and Iceland have all shaped what Lee Nelson brings to the pitch both in terms of the character he presents and the way he delivers material. The environment certainly informed the individual, but it takes a special kind of performer to decide to fly across the world and push through failure to reach success.
But success in one venue doesn’t necessarily equate to success in all venues and this interview explores the journey Lee has taken from when he first learned close-up magic to to taking a brand new show to the streets of South Africa to becoming the head of the largest independent arts organization in Iceland!